Friday, February 4, 2011

Spanish Illuminations: They's got purdy colors!

These I didn't like as much as the Celtic illuminations. I did like the use of diagonal lines, concentric circles, and color bands. The random border action with the fancy designs seems to not fit the rest of the page, but other than that I think the writing of apocalyptic texts is kind of interesting. I had trouble finding modern art influenced by Spanish illuminations, but I did find a Picasso painting that contains some of the elements found in the Beatus Manuscripts we discussed in class, which I also have pictures of for comparison.

 It has diagonal lines, color blocks in the background, and a strange-looking 2D figure. The colors used, at least in the background, are similar to those used in the Beatus manuscripts.


Hey look, color bands and unusually anatomically incorrect persons!


And again.

No comments:

Post a Comment